Thursday, October 18, 2012

Brainstorming for A4

For the A4 paper, we must discuss a problem from a multidisciplinary standpoint. Right now, I'm in the planning stage, trying to decide what two disciplines I'd like to use to solve a problem or answer a question.

I read a "conversation" online a while back published by TED (as in the series of lectures by scholars and thinkers on a huge spectrum of issues and topics) about inter-disciplinary study. The thread is used be many collaborators to discuss the importance of solving problems and making changes through an inter-disciplinary approach, and was good in thinking about what I want to accomplish with this paper. I really recommend it to anyone trying to think fundamentally about inter-discipline.

As far as my paper, specifically, some disciplines that I'm interested in writing about include media, technology, forensics, psychology, politics and history. More specifically, events or issues that I'm intrigued by include the 2008 presidential campaign, education reform, the JFK assassination, political conspiracy theories, graphic design and commercial art and typography. I'm fairly certain I'd like to research and write about something at least vaguely tied to media, as I'm a journalism major and my primary course of study concerns media.

Below are some ideas for potential problems/questions:

How have changes in technology contributed to investigation into the assassination of President John F. Kennedy? (technology + forensics)

What could be better about the way reporters cover war and conflict, from a psychological standpoint? (media + psychology)

How have presidential campaigns been affected by the rise in social media? (media + politics)

How does media coverage affect how a national problem like education reform can be solved? (media + education reform)

How can a political campaign's use of graphic design affect a race's outcome? (graphic design + political campaigns)

How does an audience's perception of a graphic design campaign (political, corporate, advertising) affect the success of such a campaign? (psychology + graphic design)



No comments:

Post a Comment